Monday, June 1, 2009

Storms Are On The Way!

Hey Everybody! We do have more storms to talk about in our forecast for today! So lets get right to this. I have been watching the weather models late last night and just got the latest weather model runs today! Things have already changed. This is why we do not put all our faith into these models even if it's only one day out!

So right now we are looking at CAPE values between 2,500J/kg to 3,000J/kg which does support some marble sized hail and dangerous frequent lightning..... I do think we will keep tornadoes at a lower threat of only 2% at this time. It is looking like areas to our west around IL, will have more of the wind shear needed to form tornadoes. Our EHI models are showing that the atmosphere as well as the Lifted Index is unstable enough for some storms to pop up this evening.

These storms will be forming off of another cold front so we will be looking for a line trying to take shape. Currently it is looking like some of our northern counties could see some light scattered showers off and on today as you can see in this radar image below taken at 11:00AM.
The better chance is looking closer to 7:pm this evening for most of us. Timing may change so I will pop back in with the latest again here a little later on.

So here is the break down for this evening.

Storm threats look to be Hail, And Dangerous Lightning. Tornadoes we will keep at a low 2% chance for now. Rainfall is looking between a Tenth inch to a Quarter inch with higher amounts in thunderstorms. These thunderstorms are looking scattered to moderate. So we will not rule out a stray severe thunderstorm just yet. The NWS does agree with our forecast as we are in that slight risk area. Still we will currently keep the strongest at this time to our west in IL, and MO, Areas. And you know I will keep you posted through out the day and in the storms! ;)

I'M still getting pictures from last weekends storms and here are a few more from our very own Blogger Brow!! He showes us all how things looked in Monticello, as the storms went through his area. Take it away brow!
Here are a couple of pics of this past weekend's weather in Monticello. I had no idea that something was coming until I heard the EAS pop on tv. I went straight to my computer to check out the radar...where did that come from?!

Being the weirdos that we are, my friend and I sat outside and watched the clouds roll in (shown in the first pic). It was really strange there was a constant rolling thunder. I don't ever recall hearing rolling thunder last so long...it must have went on for a good 20 minutes or so.

I went back inside to check the radar and the heaviest was almost right on top of Monticello. I grabbed my camera again and headed back out. The rain started lightly for about 2-3 minutes and then the sky turned blue. It was like we were in the eye of the storm. lol.

Shortly after that, the wind started to pick up a little. Then all of a sudden, WHOSH! The wind blew in real hard and the rain started up again. The rain really started to pick up and forced us to take some shelter flat against the wall under what little overhang my house has on it.

I was looking at the ground and noticed little tiny pieces of hail bouncing upwards. I said, "wow, it’s starting to hail" and all of a sudden here comes another gust of wind and the hail start coming down...I mean really coming down! It was pinging and binging off of everything including my legs and newly soaked socks. I think the biggest that it got was pea-sized...the larger peas. :)

So we just stood there like crazy hillbillies looking for something to do until it passed us by. I know that it wasn't the coolest thing to do by standing outside, but it was such an adrenaline rush!
----------------------------------
----------------------------------
Thanks for sending these pictures in Brow!
I will check back later on today with yet again the latest! We all know how much Indiana weather changes! We will get through today's thunderstorms then we will talk more about another chance at storms Tomorrow night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Justin, so I was out mowing my lawn at 8:00 am this more for nothing:) could have waited later LOL! Well glad its done.

Brow great story and pics. You sound like me, I know better than to be out in storms and to stay away from windows, however at times its to hard to resist, have to capture that special pic:)

Actually I am very scared of storms.

Justin does a great job keeping us updated:)

Teri in Laf

Brow said...

Haha, thanks for posting Justin. I am going to link from my blog to this one for sure. :)

Anonymous said...

Wind is picking up in Tippecanoe County!