Saturday, December 12, 2009

El-Nino Is Effecting Our Winter Temperatures And Precipitation. :(

Well, bloggers we have had an odd start to winter that's for sure! We have been well above average at times then way below the next time. Now we are around average only to become around two or three degrees above average once again to start the work week. But why is it so crazy this year? Well, I can say it all in one word. (El-Nino). Yes, that's right we have this darn El-Nino playing a big part in our weather pattern this winter once again. And this is what's effecting our temperatures and precipitation so much. You can see for yourself below in this image from NASA.
You see all that Red, to White, color to the south and west of the west coast? Well, this is the El-Nino Aka the warmer waters taking place. So the question is "How strong is our El-Nino this year?" well, we are looking at a moderate El-Nino. The next question is "How much can this effect our temperatures and winter precipitation?" Well, I have put together a few maps below to answer that question! Take a look.
This is how much winter precipitation we usually expect over a normal winter for the Indianapolis area. You can see we average around 6.4" inches of snowfall in December alone. And temperatures around 31.6 degrees. A total seasonal average of 21.8" inches of winter precipitation. Now take a look at our averages for this Moderate El-Nino winter we are looking at below.
I know it's a little small however stick with me lol. We usually lose 2.6" inches of winter precipitation in the month of December alone with a moderate El-Nino. And we take around 0.3" inches off of our total winter precipitation for the season. Also we add a good 3.1 degrees to our high in the month of December. And add a total of 0.3 degrees to our seasonal high. But for snow lovers the good news is we do add a little bit more snow to our average in the months of January and February. Not much but a little! ;)

Now I'm still watching our Christmas forecast and once we start to get closer I will be sure to let you all know every detail! Remember Christmas is less then two weeks away! How unbelievable is that? :) It is going way to fast. This is my favorite time of year so I love to enjoy every minute of it. And I'm going to be sure to do so!

Weekend Quick Cast.............................

Today we will start out with sun over the WLFI viewing area. We will watch for clouds to be on the rise as the day continues. We look dry for the daytime hours however as we head into tonight into Sunday we will see rain showers start to pop up on the radars. I look for this precipitation to move in after midnight or so. Highs will be in the upper 30s with lows dropping into the low to middle 20s tonight. Winds will be between 10 and 15 mph with a few gusts to 25 mph possible at times.

Sunday we will start out with some light scattered rain showers over the WLFI viewing area. Rainfall not much. Maybe between a tenth and a quarter inch. Highs will be in the upper 30s to low 40s with lows that night in the low 30s. Winds will be calm between 10 and 15 mph with a few light gusts to 20 mph possible.

Well, Bloggers I have some work I need to get done today. I have to head out to my Aunt and Uncle's to help them out for a while. So I had better get to work! Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Happy Saturday!!!! :D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your blog looks great, Justin!! Have a wonderful Christmas!!

MA in REM

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

What words..